The Wellington Business Network was established in 2013 by four Wellingtonians: Rob McGregor of Accentuate+ Public Relations; Grant Uridge and Thurl Gibbs of Plus4 Insurance Solutions; and Karl Baker of Mindfulness Works. In 2017 Fraser Carson of Flightdec replaced Karl Baker, who moved to Australia.
The network predominantly comprises the owners and managers of Small to Medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and those who support the SME sector in Wellington.
We meet every six weeks or so on a Tuesday at Avida Restaurant & Bar on the corner of Johnston & Featherston Streets, Wellington. Each meeting concludes with a tapas lunch provided by Avida.
A guest speaker is invited to each event to give a brief presentation on a topical issue.
Membership is open, there are no membership fees and we encourage members to invite their colleagues, business associates or clients to our events.
There is no compulsion to attend every event. However, by committing to attend an event, you agree to pay $25.00 GST inc. for the set menu tapas lunch.
Previous guest speakers have included:
- Steve Logan, Logan Brown & Grill Meats Beer
- Mark Peterson, Chief Executive NZX
- Brett Hudson, National Party List MP
- Brian Steele, Giddy Up
- Mark Clare, Clare Capital
- Tui Te Hau - Mahuki - Te Papa's Innovation Hub
- Professor John Nacey - Research For Life
- Simon Marsh, Wellington City Councillor
- David Farrar, political commentator
- Andy Bray, business banker
- Carla Russell, executive director of the NZ Art Show
- Grant Robertson, MP for Wellington Central
- David Graves, founder of Tall Poppy Real Estate
- Nathan Meyer, founder & managing director of Carrello del Gelato
- Fran Wilde, former Wellington Labour MP, Minister of Tourism, Mayor of Wellington & chair of the Greater Wellington Regional Council
- Digby Paape, owner of Associated Audio
- Trish Love, Chartered Accountant and chief executive of Love to Grow
- Sue Matehaere-Patten, manager of Your Property Matters
- James Shaw, MP & co-leader of Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Simon Woolf, owner of Woolf Photographer & Wellington City Councillor
- Christian Hawkesby, Director of Harbour Asset Management
- Michael Gregg, wine maker & managing director of Harvest Estate
- Nick Leggett, Porirua Mayor & Wellington mayoral candidate
- Jo Coughlan, Wellington City Councillor & Wellington mayoral candidate